Skip to content

Reflection and Clarification Pt.2

July 16, 2010
Upon our arrival in Seattle we were immediately accosted by my aunt and her camera. She was determined to get our first expressions of relief as we rolled into the “West Coast Maintence Bay”. After we said our hello we made our way inside to strip of our rain and riding gear (it had just started to rain as we pulled into seattle… another warm welcome, hah). Debby had Several of her friends over and they were playin cards and we joined in as soon as we warmed up. It just so happened to be 4th of july this evening and so we went upto the balcony to watch the fireworks. The following weeks were spent working on my bike, in the down time we had a fantastic visit. we went to shakespeare in the park (As You Like It) drove around ballard and the seattle area, and enjoyed the happy hour food choices. I was able to visit Ballard Ornamental Ironworks, an Iron shop I worked at several years ago, only for a couple months. I had to reintroduce myself, they didn’t recognize me at all, but they definitely did remember me and were completely blown away. We brought the exhaust header that seemed to have cracked again, this time on the 2nd pipe.

At this point we’ve diagnosed the engine with a quick measurement from a compression tester… it told us what we feared 0 compression in one cylinder and 30psi in a second (supposed to be at least 90-150) we were left with the 3 options: 1.) Tear into my engine, send away for parts 2.) Find a new engine 3.) find another bike with a working engine and take it. I posted for help on our forum and one member, miles from edmonds answered my plea with news like a clarion call from the trumpets of a far off kingdom: he has a working engine, and he wants to give it to me. (I called him up right away to find out what he wanted for it, and he just wanted to donate it to the cause!) It was truely a great moment for us… it really restores faith in the human spirit. We retrieved the engine and proceeded to remove the special mounting system Miles had installed to adapt it to a 750 frame. We were a little overzealous though and in pounding one of these mounts out, we cracked the boss it was sitting in and thus ruining the bottom section of the engine.. eeek. We dismantled the engine a little father enough to get the bottom case off so we could tote it around with us. One of our trips out to find brake parts took us to a combination autoparts store/ machine shop. He took one look at it and told us two very good things: 1.) Our plan to use the bottom case from the old motor was impossible, and 2.) he could fix it for 50 bucks! so we got it welded and it took the better part of the day. The rest of the week was spent in the garage while the sun shone and the weather was absolutely impeccable. We disassembled my bike preparing to swap the motors and drove all around town collecting parts and tools. After many hours of work the original engine was out, we popped open the head to find that 2 valves in 2 seperate engines had been chipped about a quarter inch fingernail clipping look chunk taken out of them. That explains all the problems I was having! The new engine went in pretty smoothly, we got all the rest of the gagets hooked up and cleaned out the carbs and installed them. Fired right up!

All was looking good… we finished the forks seals and got evertying on and i took it out that night for my maiden voyage. It sounded and felt great, i zipped down the street and turned around, and pulled up to the traffic light about 1/4 mile from my aunts house when the engine made a horrrid noise, like it was crushing ice deep inside the engine. I listened again and it did it a second time so I immediately shut the engine off and pulled it off the road, and called in the cavalry. When my dad arrived he started the bike and immediately heard the noise, and killed the engine. With no real idea what could be making that noise our minds simultaneously hovering around the worst case… a bolt somewhere in the transmission or crank. Traffic was far too heavy to deal with it there so we pushed into a parkling lot and went home for dinner. We brought the car back and used a big long piece of rope to tow home. The next day we proceeded to tear everything off again to remove the engine, the new plan was to fix my old engine… we put in a rush order with my brother spencer for the parts we needed and they arrived the next day, we were just about to pull the engine out when I pulled the Stator cover off and found the rotor just practically fell off in my hands… shit! We knew almost right away that we’d found the culprit, why we couldnt hear it during the testing in the drive way (it wasnt loose yet, and i hadnt leaned the bike) and why it only started after the ride. Another few hours and we had the bike back together, and all was well.

In the midst at all we took a trip to Everret to see the Boeing Factory.. this was freakin awsome. The building has the largest volume in the world, it has 6 doors on it each roughly the size of an american Football field. inside there was at least 20 planes all in various stages of completion. the 747 was the main focus of the tour, one whole bay was dedicated to fabricating the different sections of the plane and one other bay was dedicated to assembling them all together. They had the 787, their newest composite plane, which is 20 tons lighter than an alluminum plane of comparable size. It has engines on it that can suck up all the air in a large hangar in about 4 seconds! Crazy, my discriptions will do it no justice, and we werent allowed to take pictures.

This trip allowed me to meet another one of my fellow guild members from my online MMORPG World of Warcraft… the first was in Chicago, and Adrian is the guild leader of my guild, and he is in seattle. We went out to dinner, saw the new Predators movie and went out shot some pool. I learned at the bar, about Pull tabs which I found particularly facinating.
Pull tabs come in these gigantic plastic bins, these bins are full of tickets that have a hidden values, its kinda like paper slot machines. anyways you buy a ticket from a specific bin pull it a part, and either you win one of about 30 prizes randing from 1 to 750 dollars, or you loose. The bins show the number of winning tickets at each value, they also tell you how many total tickets start in the bin. Most of them the player had less than 1% chance to win (6000-12,200,000 tickets) I watched a guy drop at least 400 dollars on one box and not really won anything. The funniest part, you can reserve boxes. Once you’ve sunk a buncha money into a box and you dont want some guy just droppin 20 bucks and winning the grand prize, you can negotiate some price for the bar to set the box aside so no one else can play it but you. They’ll hold it for ya for 30 days. Adrian and I played 20 bucks of one game that seemed to have the best odds… 30 prizes and 3000 tickets. We got maybe 5 dollars and then didnt win anything from that money.. oh well at least i can say i tried!

With the bikes under control, finally it was time to start lookin out towards the road, and we headed off towards Forks Washington, where Twilight Saga was filmed. I was threatened under pain of bodily harm if i came home without a picture from forks, so we went. The drive was nice, but slow and our arrival into tillamook was a late one (12:30 am)

The saga continues


One Comment leave one →
  1. Sky Cole permalink
    July 22, 2010 7:47 pm

    And I see you got “spellcheck” working as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: